7 Ziplining Tips and Tricks for Your Costa Rica Vacation
One of the most popular activities for a Costa Rica adventure vacation is the zipline. There are countless ziplines in nearly every part of the country, and each one is a unique experience. The idea of flying through the air might be intimidating at first, but it’s popular for a reason. It’s fun. They’re available in different heights and provide some pretty spectacular views. Follow these 8 ziplining tips and tricks to make the most of your vacation in Costa Rica.
1. What to Wear – Dress comfortably. Wear clothing that’s not tight and not loose. You’ll need to be able to move your arms and legs around without your clothes billowing in the breeze – or falling off! You can wear shorts, but be sure they’re long enough for a harness to fit overtop, rather than chafe your legs. Wear close-toed shoes without a heel. Make sure they’re broken in and fit you properly.
2. About Your Hair – If your hair is longer than chin length, put it up or braid it. If your bangs go down to your nose, pull them back so you can see.
3. The Little Things – Don’t plan to carry anything in your pockets that you’re not prepared to lose. Most places have lockers to stow your possessions before you go. Some allow you to wear small form-fitting bags if they won’t dangle or get in the way. Bring a camera with you that has a strap or a handle.
4. Where to Zip – There are some fabulous ziplines in Costa Rica. Decide what type of experience you want, whether it’s flying through the canopy over the rainforest or riding high above the water. Discuss your options when you’re booking your trip.
5. Follow Your Guide – Your guide is well trained to keep you safe. Listen to the instructions and always follow directions. Everything you need to know will be explained to you. Safety is the first priority. You’ll be fine if you follow your guide.
6. The Platform – If you’re nervous or new, the hardest part is usually gathering up the courage to step off the platform for the first time. You don’t need to run or jump or hold your breath. Just step off the platform and sit in your harness. Gravity and the zipline will do the rest of the work for you until you get to the other side – but your guide will explain all of that to you. (See Tip 5.)
7. Don’t Forget to Smile – The point of ziplining is to have fun. It’s probably one of the main reasons you’re even thinking about it. You might be nervous about heights or swinging through the trees in an unfamiliar place, but smiling will make you less nervous. There’s an exhilarating feeling that comes with an adrenaline rush. Smile when you have it.
Ready to go ziplining? Contact us at Costa Rica Rios when you’re ready to plan your trip.