Take a Look
Whitewater Rafting Costa Rica
No Costa Rica adventure vacation would be complete without experiencing the thrills and spills of whitewater rafting on one of the country’s rivers which are so well suited to this sport. One of the main beauties of whitewater rafting here is that you can choose the level you want to be challenged, or scared, depending on which way you look at what will be an undoubtedly exhilarating and unforgettable experience.
Whitewater rafting – endless choices
Rapids are graded (from I – V) so you can choose accordingly. The excitement can last from two hours to two days, depending on how deeply you want to immerse yourself, sometimes literally, in the rivers of Costa Rica. Whitewater rafting is included in our 8-day Adventure Tour package, or take a two-day whitewater rafting tour and include overnight camping, alternatively staying at an eco-lodge if you prefer to glamp more than camp? You can also combine whitewater rafting with trekking, mountain biking, ziplining or a canopy tour – the options are endless.
So why is whitewater rafting in Costa Rica so popular? We like to think it is because of the combination of challenging rapids and stunning scenery. In between rapids there are stretches of calm river where you can relax more, paddle gently, and take in the mystical and magical sights and sounds of the rainforest surrounding you and the birds and animals that live in this amazing environment.
Whitewater rafting – River Pacuare
Here at Costa Rica Rios we love whitewater rafting on the Pacuare River, which is why we have chosen this river as the principal rafting destination for our tour packages, including one customized specifically for honeymooners. We want everything about your vacation in Costa Rica to be memorable, and for all the right reasons. The highly respected American journalist and travel expert, Peter Greenberg, rates the Pacuare River as the second-best river in the Top Five Rivers in the World for class II to IV rafting. High praise indeed!
Your safety is our priority
Booking through Costa Rica Rios ensures that experienced and qualified whitewater rafting guides will be there to provide expert tuition, and will be with you all the way, while safety helmets, life preservers and the boats themselves are regularly checked and are always ‘fit for purpose’. With Costa Rica Rios, you are always in safe hands.
Our top 5 whitewater rafting rivers in Costa Rica
- Pacuare River (Rio Pacuare) – unusually for whitewater rafting, the water in this river is not icy cold, which is a big plus. Add 52 separate sets of rapids, and you might understand why this is such a hot favorite for whitewater rafting in Costa Rica. Two-day rafting expeditions highly recommended, especially as you can stay overnight in an eco-lodge and really embrace the rain forest environment, its flora and fauna at close quarters.
- Sarapiqui River (Rio Sarapiqui) – another whitewater rafting favorite, primarily because of the river’s length. Located on the eastern side of Costa Rica and with numerous class III and IV rapids, this is well worth an outing.
- Balsa River (Rio Balsa) – located in the Arenal / La Fortuna area, this is a great river for whitewater rafting as a family, safe enough for children aged eight years and older, with class II and class III rapids. Surrounding forest packed full of wildlife.
- Savegre River (Rio Savegre) – another family favorite and again great for young kids, with class II and class III rapids. Enjoy a stop-off at one of the many beautiful swimming spots as you make your way down river.
- Tenorio River (Rio Tenorio) – a challenging river close to the Tenorio volcano. Predominantly class III and Class IV rapids, children under 13 years of age are not usually permitted. The 15-mile stretch will take you the best part of four hours to negotiate. A great journey breaker if you are travelling from Arenal / La Fortuna to the Guanacaste region.
Specializing in adventure vacations in Costa Rica, here at Costa Rica Rios, aside from our 8-day Adventure Tour and Honeymoon Adventure Package, we can create individual, bespoke adventure packages that will concentrate on your favored activities.
It is hard to resist the allure of Costa Rica if you like exploring and are looking for the adventure of a lifetime, so take advantage of our local knowledge and give us a call. We’ll be glad to talk you through all you can expect from a vacation in Costa Rica, and happily answer any questions you may have.